A Quote I Live By...


"Before you can inspire with emotion, you must be swamped with it yourself. Before you can move their tears, your own must flow. To convince them, you must yourself believe." - Winston Churchill

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Three Big Things Today...

Today is a big day in our family for three reasons -

One, it's Mother's Day!
 
My Mom and I, 1992

Before I took a breath,
Before I took a step
Unnumbered prayers were spoken–
Were spoken just for me.
And as I rested peacefully
There in your loving arms,
You dreamed of what my future would bring
And what tomorrow would bring.
My childhood days are gone,
And time keeps moving on.
It seems as though the months, the years
Quickly slip away.
The life of faith you offered,
Examples of God’s love,
Is the life I long to share
With my children someday.
You watched me as each tiny step grew stronger,
You guided me through choices I would make.
And though I didn’t know the road that I would walk,
Your prayers would always light the path I take.
Your arms reached down to lift me when I’d fallen,
Your arms would hold me when I felt afraid.
Your eyes could see right through the dark and stormy clouds
And point me to a brighter day.
Your steps would set the path that I would follow,
Your words of hope my broken dreams could mend.
Your heart of love would always show me Jesus,
But it was your life that led me to Him.

(“It Was Your Life”)
“Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her. Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all. Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.”–Proverbs 31:28-31

Happy Mother’s Day to the best mother in the world! Thank you so much for all you’ve done and all you continue to do for us every day, and for your amazing example of what a godly wife and mother should be! I love you!

Me on my seventh birthday - with my birthday present! :-)
May 13th, 1996
 

Second, a very happy 16th birthday to my brother Alex! Not ever girl gets a little brother for a birthday present, and I have been so blessed to be able to share a birthday with him! Alex is so compassionate and always thinks of other people. He is such a blessing to me!

In case you didn't catch it...it feels weird like, blowing my own horn or something...haha. But to quote Rapunzel...

"And it's also my birthday. Just so you know."

Twenty-three?! Seriously. It feels kinda old. :-P As a friend so kindly pointed out, it's two years away from a quarter of a century. Ok, so that's weird. Hehe.

Funny the way life works. If you had asked me at sixteen where I wanted to be at twenty-three, I would have responded instantly...married with several kids. Now, still single with no prospects on the horizon, I am completely and totally happy where I'm at right now and have no desire to change it. I mean, ya know, until The Percy Clone arrives and I change my mind. But at the MOMENT...I'm happy. I can't fathom being married yet. I can't imagine any life different than what I've had. At sixteen I would have been mortified at the idea of still being single at twenty-three. GASP, it was practically an OLD MAID. Hehe.

And now...I love it. And I think single-and-twenty-three is a fine status to be. :-) Funny how growing up changes a person's point of view.

I've had a lot of difficult things happen this past year with losing my aunt and my brother and the various personal struggles and triumphs that happen in life that have stretched me and made me grow, made me look at my life and realize what I really believe in. But it's funny, I feel like this past year was different. People always ask that super-annoying question, "Do you feel any differently?" And to be honest...yes, I do. While I am in no way "arrived" or completely mature or anything, I feel like an adult. This past year I've gained a confidence in the Lord and in my identity that I never had before. I no longer care what people think or what they'll say. I am stronger in my convictions and in what-I-love-even-if-it's-not-popular. I have developed my own person, my own tastes and my own identity. I feel very, very different from the girl last year. Maybe it's growing up...maybe it's just me. :-) But I feel that there's just something this year that wasn't there before. And yes, suddenly I'm humming Something There from Beauty and the Beast. Haha.

Anyway! If you're  still here after the rambling...I hope you all had a very lovely Mother's Day...erm, your mothers did...or you did for the married ladies who read this. :-) A Very Happy Mother's Day to my own wonderful mother, and a Happy Birthday to my awesome brother!

And have a great rest of the weekend. :-)           

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Happy birthday Ally!! Praying the best for you this coming year!! Love ya, Stacey

Little Lady said...

I had to laugh at the part in this post where you said "At sixteen I would have been mortified at the ideal of still being single at twenty-three" LOL! Sooooo there! I thought when I was thirteen that SURELY I would be married (or at least in love) at sixteen, and at twenty-two going on twenty-three, I should SURELY have a few kids! lol Oh the minds of the young. :D